Sunday, August 23, 2009

mmmmm, donuts



there's something i should tell you up front if we're to have any sort of meaningful, honest and productive dialogue:

(ahem)
before this week, i never had read or seriously considered any theories, perspectives or studies of leadership whatsoever. really- not ever.

okay, so maybe it's not the end of the world, but this little fact of my leadership-theory-ignorance was the haunting theme of my weekend. picture me sitting around with the texts, stupefied, acting out in Homer Simpson-like forehead-smacks: "management and leadership are different? leadership is not an inherent trait? people are actually discussing this? arguing about this? d'oh!"

i refrained from being too hard on myself; after all, i was grateful to be submerged in the material now. it just frustrated me to think that i could have checked this stuff out sooner. questions i obsessed over: "in my organization, have i been anything like a leader up to this point? am i responsible for leadership problems there? imagine the sort of leader i'd be today if only..."

and then, drenched in sweat, i reached a better understanding (clarity for me, derived from a 4-mile run: picture Homer Simpson after tv, beer and donuts). three years of raw experience, without an academic framework, is much more valuable than i had first thought. my real-life experiences form the frame of reference i consult when alone with the texts; they are my personal case studies and an untapped well of material for me to examine in the months to come.

and that is my confession. that i at once felt scared by what i didn't know, and motivated by what i had discovered i did know. i'm hooked on the material thus far. and i'm pretty certain that i chose the right program of study. the end.

***
if my first blog entry was successful, it would have accurately depicted a student enthralled by new material; a student at first intimidated by what he did not know, and at last confident that the knowledge gap was perhaps not as large as he'd initially feared.
additional criteria to the success of this entry: not losing any of you in defending my right to "non-caps" (proper nouns exempt), as well as with my gratuitous Simpsons references, of which there will probably be more to come.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, we have very similar thoughts! I had never thought about the material we discussed in class until this point either. But as you described, I am also very enthralled in the material and I am looking forward to learning more about what is to come. I enjoyed your post because it offered a sense of humor as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manuel, insightful indeed . . . and very cleverly written! Dr. K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manuel, you have enlightened me with your subject matters. You have also intrigued my intellect as a writer and follower. Thank you for your exquisite words and wittiness. You have definitely displayed depth and creativity. Simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I was actually inspired by your journal entry. You gave me some ideas for the futre. I had some of those same thoughts and ahhh ha moments mentioned above but you wrote it way better than I could have. You must be a blogger...

    ReplyDelete
  5. as I toy with the idea of going back to school I also have wondered how these past 6 years of non-academic life will interact with / show up in my attitude towards new academic material.
    I find myself asking: have I become too damn casually Zen about everything? Too much of the ol': "hey- shoot, c'est la vie-!" in me these days? ...*hurm.*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manuel I've been working and managing people for 33 years (which is sort of horrifying to thing about) and sometimes I wonder if one can really only be defined as a leader by the people they lead. I might think I'm leading away and the people following me think I'm managing them just fine but leading? Not so much... I too look forward to reading the material. I have in the past read lots of popular leadership books and it will be intersting to learn the theories behind the popular press stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldnt be too worried about seeing this for the first time. I was 47 when it happened to me. You have me by about 20 years. Try to take what you learn and apply it at work. Its the only way it'll stick in your head. Try to draw from numerous readings and notice how they're all saying the same things in different ways. Very little in leadership in the last twenty or so years is new. People keep writing about it and they reference each other endlessly. This isnt a bad thing but its important to know how easily you can blend different readings together. Bolman & Deal, Larsen & LaFasto, Parker, etc. They all sound alike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Manuel! First I love your writing style. I think I'll be reading your blogs every week. Unlike I lot of people in our class, I dont have a job position were I can practice either management or leadership. Understanding the theory is one thing. Applying it to a job is another. Hopefully we can figure it out together.

    ReplyDelete